Young People's Church of the Air LP
$13 + shipping
PREORDER - SHIPS SEPTEMBER 20, 2011
Digital version of Young People's Church of the Air will be available September 6, 2011.
1. A Litany for Mrs. T
2. The Days of Adderall
4. A Bunch of People Who Love You Like Crazy
6. Burglarizing the Deaf
7. Baltika 9
8. English as a Second Language
9. Ordination Day
10. The Demon & the Hurricane
11. What an Awesome Backhanded Compliment
Deleted Scenes will release Young People’s Church of the Air on Sockets Records on CD (Sept. 6) and LP (Sept. 20). This second album builds on the “thoughtful existentialism and strange, drowsy downers“ of their 2009 debut, Birdseed Shirt (Pitchfork, 8.0), pushing the band’s formidable rhythm section further, and exploring the possibility of hope.
Grabbing rhythmic feels from 80s pop, R&B, surf rock, dark funk, and Go-Go, Young People’s Church of the Air showcases Deleted Scenes discovering what it can do. Drummer Brian Hospital introduces the double-kick pedal to art rock with thoughtful drum arrangements. The lyrics find Daniel Scheuerman taking risks to explore themes of family, love, death and joy in a self-devouring poetic style. The album’s production is fuzzy and warped, inspired by the cassette warble of Southeast Asian psych-pop and the detuned stew of Elliott Smith’s final album, From a Basement on the Hill.
The songs began as fruity loops-based jams in Scheuerman’s basement studio, the Crab’s Claw, which were then introduced into the band environment, taking on a live identity over the course of 300 shows on tour. The album was finally recorded at the Garden Center in Hockessin, DE, with Nick Krill (the Spinto Band) and Birdseed Shirt producer L. Skell. It contains a mixture of studio sounds and home-recorded lo-fi noise.
The album title comes from a 1930s radio-church hymnal Scheuerman found in an old piano bench, and evokes the elusive and sometimes illusory nature of hope.
The first single from the album, indie club anthem “Bedbedbedbedbed“ was released on July 5 in 12“ 45 RPM format.
See the band on the following dates:
- Sept 5, Atlanta, GA, 529
- Sept 6, Athens, GA, Farm 255
- Sept 8, Jacksonville, FL, Burro Bar
- Sept 9, Orlando, FL, Will's Pub
- Sept 10, Ft. Myers, FL, Cool Hand Lucs
- Sept 11, New Orleans, LA, The Saint
- Sept 12, Austin, TX, Mohawk
- Sept 13, Denton, TX, J&J's Pizza
- Sept 14, Kansas City, MO, Record Bar
- Sept 15, Omaha, NE, O'Leaver's
- Sept 16, Iowa City, IA, The Mill
- Sept 17, Fairfield, IA, Beauty Shop
- Sept 18, Madison, WI, High Noon Saloon w/ Margot and the Nuclear So and So's
- Sept 19, Chicago, IL, Pancho's
- Sept 21, Ypsilanti, MI, Woodruff's
- Sept 22, Toronto, ON, Rancho Relaxo
- Sept 24, Montreal, QC, Pop Montreal w/ Yuck
- Sept 25, Winooski, VT, Monkey Bar
- Sept 27, Pittsburgh, PA, Smiling Moose
- Oct 6, Durham, NC, The Pinhook
- Oct 9, Washington, DC, DC9 w/ The Life and Times
- Oct 10, Baltimore, MD, Golden West w/ The Life and Times
- Oct 11, New York, Mercury Lounge w/ The Life and Times
- Oct 12, New Haven, CT, Bar Night Club w/ The Life and Times
- Oct 13, Philadelphia, PA, Jonny Brenda's w/ The Life and Times
- Oct 14, Boston, MA, Obrien's w/ The Life and Times